We are able to treat women during pregnancy including performing acupuncture .
- Low back pain
- Sacro-iliac joint pain
- Pelvic Girdle pain :
- Symphysis Pubis Dysfunction – inflammation.
- Diastasis Symphysis Pubis – the gap between the joint widens too far.
We are proud to work in association with The Birth Sanctuary.
Symphysis Pubis Dysfunction (SPD)
This is a common and debilitating condition which can affect women in pregnancy, child birth and afterwards.
- Back pain
- Grinding/clicking sensation in the pubic area
- Pain over the inner thighs, in between the legs and groin
- Increased pain when widening legs, walking and stairs
- Burning/shooting/stabbing pains
- Tenderness at the symphysis pubis and sacro-iliac joints
- Reduced hip movements
- A waddling walking pattern
The symphysis pubis gap widens during pregnancy, especially in the last trimester. With SPD the body does not adapt to the joints becoming more relaxed and allows instability in the pelvic girdle. Usually nerves and muscles adapt in pregnancy to cope with the altered pelvic load and loose ligaments. If they don’t, then this leads to instability, discomfort and pain.
- Falling/landing with legs apart e.g. from a horse
- Advice – sleep on your side with pillows in-between legs, try to make daily activities less painful, posture, rest
- Pelvic support – KT taping techniques/pelvic belts
- Exercises – pelvic floor, abdominals, core stability
Ladies at risk of developing SPD:
- Pelvic girdle pain before pregnancy
- Previous pelvic injury
- SPD in previous pregnancy
- General increase in mobility in other joints
- Overweight before becoming pregnant